Covid-19. Lockdown. Marketing budget cut. Bankruptcy. It’s just a beginning. Still, despite the Covid-19 crisis digital advertising industry is growing.
Digital ads has survived the pandemic, but as people spend more time online we have bigger problem. Consumers stopped paying attention to irrelevant digital ads.
Creating the right message and appealing design of your ads is the first step in attracting your audience in 2020. What is next? Go interactive!
According to Ion Interactive, 70% of marketers state that interactive content is effective in converting site visitors. 88% of marketers find that interactive ads are great for brands to differentiate themselves from competitors. The remaining 12% most probably don’t have any competitors.
What is an interactive ad?
Some of you might ask: “Hold on, what exactly you mean by interactive ad?”
With interactive ads you can turn traditional static ad into a game, awakening users from their digital sleep and inviting them to physically engage with the ad unit.
This is an awesome way to encourage your audience to act, rather than passively scroll ads down.
It’s hard to list all advantages of interactive ad units comparing them to static ads. If I listed them, I would start with higher customer engagement, better customer experience, better customer understanding, increased number of site visitors and so on, and on, and on till the moment when this list will turn to bla-bla-bla for you.
But what I can do, is to show you the real examples of interactive ad performing excellence. I decided to hold my own investigation to find out what kind of ad units better deliver all those bla-bla-bla from the list above.
How to measure the successful of ad creatives
To analyze mobile ad performance our Data Science team visualize ad campaign data on heatmaps.
A Heatmap is a two-dimensional visual representation of data using colors, when the colors represent different values in case you are not familiar with the term. The right bar represents colors and the corresponding number of clicks. You can notice that the darker the color on the heatmap, the more clicks users made in this certain part of the unit. White color means no clicks.
Below you can see examples of successful interactive ad campaigns and their performance visualized on heatmaps.
Inviting mobile users to scroll, peel, scratch and move your interactive ad will help you to tell stories, enhance personalization, and create lasting impressions on audiences.
It’s interesting to observe the correlation between interactive parts of ad units and colors on respective heatmaps. For example, you can see that on the Cube and FlipCard heatmaps the areas in the middle and right-handed area is darker. This means that users ( 90% of global population is right-handed) swiped the ad units from the right to the left to see more.
You can learn more about the benefits of different ad units in the previous blog post.
Interactive vs. Static ads
So, we analyzed several interactive and static ads run via Adello Direct and compared performance of those with similar targeting settings, same time-frame and budget.
To be perfectly honest, even I was surprised by the difference in ad performance result. Look at the heatmaps below!
Based on the numbers above, an interactive ad can be 2-3 times more engaging than a static banner. It’s no a surprise why big brands and agencies prefer this. This means, that interactive ads not just increase impressions and viewability but also boost pre-click engagement on the way to higher click rate.
The bigger-sized ad has an additional advantage: it does not only tell a story but also shows it. Using 180° or 360° Panorama ad units, you can create a showroom out of your ad. Unlike static banner, the interactive ad will encourage your audience to move a smartphone from side to side to see your product from different angles.
The nice thing about interactive ad units is that you don’t need to have a tech-designers team to write a code of ad creatives from the scratch. Some ad platforms and SaaS solutions, like Adello Direct, offer an easy to use tool to create interactive ad units without a minute. All you need to do is just to choose the ad unit you like and upload your images of certain sizes. Viola! Your creative is ready!
As long as people didn’t stop being curious and developed blindness for interactive ad we have to use its benefits to win the attention of audience.